The Dow Tract is located near the intersection of US-41 and Lac La Belle Rd. in Keweenaw County Michigan.
Capstone management plans were written for the tract in 1998 and 2007. FERM activity started in the spring term of 2006
with a site visit, plan review, and property line work. The tract is fairly rugged and composed of several different
forest types. Magnetic interference from metal deposits is common and added a twist to establishing property lines.
Completed Work (Spring 2006)
- Basic recon and assessment of property, including sample points.
- Flag in property lines.
- Timber harvest recommendations.
- GIS/GPS work and maps.
Spring and Summer 2007
- Painted south property line from center section east.
- Painted west property line from SE corner to Lac LaBelle Rd.
- GPS work on stand boundaries for harvest.
- Establish Femelschlag gaps, mark trees and GPS gaps.
- Mark trees in areas of single tree selection.
- Ribbon unit boundaries where necessary.
- Advertise sale and select logging contractor.
- Develop stewardship plan to facilitate grant money for biomass harvesting.
- Sale inspections.